What's Eating Gilbert Grape!!!

  • The Happiness Project

Sunday, July 23, 2006

The Dillons came a visiting.

Penny, Dillon, Colm and Ady came visiting because of space in the caravan and the situation K and I are in it was decided that I would stay with mum and dad for the weekend.

I was happy with this as it meant I would continue to benefit from their care and attention, but wasnt too sure how Penny and Dillon would react to it.

Long story short apart from the constant too-ing and fro-ing it worked really well. K had Dylan time, in two hourly batches - pretty much as much as K seems to handle. Penny was a real star and organised all the picnics and food. It was strange to "visit" the caravan and having the mess of two young children made my fingers twitch each time I visited, but I got my anality under wraps and managed to sit on my hands.

I organised for mum and dad to baby sit on Saturday night, meaning to spend some time with Penny and Dillon enjoying a glass of wine or two, but at 8.30pm dad called saying simply "come home".

Apparently Dylan had been as happy as Larry sitting on the table with mum and dad in his wee chair, whilst they ate. Dad pulled his sock off and Dylan looked at him as if to say 'you dont do that', looked at my mum and burst in to tears. He then proceeded to cry for the next hour and a half.

When I walked through the door his little arms flew up and he greeted me with a tear stained smile. He snuggled into me, smiling and googling at mum and dad. Within minutes he was settled in his cot and fast asleep. Dad shook his head mumbling "I dont believe it, he was a totally different baby before you came".

I returned to the caravan and enjoyed a game of 'pass the bomb' but I stayed off the wine, just in case.

The Dillons seemed to have a fab time - the glorious weather allowed us to spend time BBQ-ing and sitting on the beach



sandcastles



and water fights ensued.

No comments: