What's Eating Gilbert Grape!!!

  • The Happiness Project

Sunday, August 24, 2008

A sad,sad day.

I woke this morning to a phone call from Lynne, Ryans mum, "Shannon, can you come over please".

"Lynne its 6.30 in the morning, what the f**k is wrong.

"Please Shannon, come over, he's dead."

I put the phone down, got dressed and headed over.

Ron, Jo, my next door neighbour's husband, had died in the night, a massive heart attack.

Lynne had been over there since 2.30am. He was a fit, healthy man and it was totally unexpected. He was a lovely man, gentle and fun. I enjoyed spending time in his company, although I have to say I was generally imbibing a bottle or two, but he was a good man, a good husband and a good neighbour.

I went round to Jo's to "pay my respects". Her son, Josh opened the door, Jo was in the hallway and once she saw it was me she told Josh to shut the door.

I was devestated. I know we havent been on the best of terms these last few months, but I never expected that.

Luckily the hours past and Jo came round to mine, we hugged and I attempted to express how sad I was. I did some shopping for her, the mundane always helps and I told her I was there for her if she needed me.

It made me realise how lucky I was to have the people around me who I have. Im constanly holding Dylan thinking "what if".

No comments: