What's Eating Gilbert Grape!!!

  • The Happiness Project

Friday, September 04, 2015

Summer Holidays

Ive had such an amazing summer with Dylan, we have petted animals, played with friends, had sleep overs, camped, played on the beach, walked through museums, visited vikings and done a multitude of other things. We have done these things with friends and as a family and its been wonderful.

But that reality is Summer is hard! Summer holidays are expensive and exhausting and mean that you need to slot normal life into the last two hours of the day, Dylan still wants me to be there with him when he is playing on the xbox, for tickle fights in between loading games or talking to friends, or to colour in with him, Im still needed to play chase, or games. I love the time we have spent together and I wouldnt change them, they give me time to gather memories, to look at Dylan and brim with love and yes sometimes annoyance but thats ok!

But as he grows I realise that next year and the years to come will be more about him spending time with his friends rather than me.

So when we headed into the school yard today for his first day of year five the weight of these thoughts filled my brain. He wants more independence, I see him growing, this wonderful little boy, my monster and I want to stop it, to say this day, this feeling!

"Do you want me to come in with you Dylan?
"Yes mum"
Rucksack on his back he strode ahead of me. He waved to several friends, chatting away and I walked to his drop off point on my own. Watching him drop his bag on the ground and run off to join his tribe....

"Dylan" I called, he turned and waved "Im going now" and I waved goodbye.

He ran back to me his arms firmly round my waist and kissed me "Have a good day mum".

Yeah - still my boy!

So I say thank you for the memories, the smiles and laughter!

No comments: